Crispy Fried Rigatoni “Chips” stuffed Mascarpone with Bloody Spicy Raspberry Coulis
• 1/2 lb. Rigatoni
• Sufficient quantity canola oil
• Sea salt
• 3/4 cup Ricotta cheese
• 1/4 cup Mascarpone cheese
• 2 tablespoons maple syrup
• 1 teaspoon mint, chopped
Bloody raspberry coulis:
• 1 cup frozen raspberries, thawed
• 1 red chili pepper, halved, seeds and pith removed
• 2 tablespoons brown sugar
• Medium pot
• Slotted spoon
• Medium pan
• Medium bowl
• Rubber spatula
• Small self-sealing plastic bag
Making the rigatoni chips: Cook the pasta in salted boiling water until partially cooked (about half the cooking time recommended). Drain. Deep-fry the rigatoni in several batches in 350˚ F canola oil until crisp and golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a wire rack. Sprinkle with sea salt.
Making the herbed filling: To a bowl, add the ricotta and the mascarpone and, using a rubber spatula, blend until smooth. Transfer filling to a piping bag with a small straight tip. Fill each “chip” with the filling.
Making the raspberry coulis: Puree raspberries and their juices, chili pepper and 2 tbsp brown sugar in a food processor.