Bocconcini Eyeballs with Blood Salsa
• 8 large green olives stuffed with pimento
• 16 Bocconcini cheese balls
• 8 slices Prosciutto di Parma
• 1 can whole tomatoes
• 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 1 teaspoon aged balsamic vinegar
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 red onion, minced
• 1 handful fresh flat parsley, finely chopped
• 1 handful fresh basil, finely chopped
• 1/2 teaspoon dried Greek oregano
• 1/4 teaspoon hot chili flakes
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
• Freshly cracked pepper
• Paring knife
• Medium bowl
Making the eyeballs: slice olives into 1/4-inch discs. Place an olive disc in the center of a bocconcini and trace around it with a sharp paring knife. Carve out a 1/2-inch piece of cheese from the outline and place olive slice in the hole. Wrap a slice of prosciutto around the bocconcini eyeball.
Making the salsa: pour whole can of tomatoes into a bowl. Add olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, red onion, parsley, basil, Greek oregano, chili flakes, salt, sugar, and lots of freshly cracked pepper. Mix with hands.
Divide eyeballs into pair and place on individual plates. Add a couple of tablespoons of salsa to each plate. Serve with crostini.
Check out Nadia G.'s other spooky recipes and Once Upon a Vine's Halloween cocktails!